Alternative RK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear Lady of Capesthorne

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dear Lady of Capesthorne Empty Dear Lady of Capesthorne

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:38 pm

Jenibelle

Jen knew that she didn't have much time. The cloaked man had practically shoved them outside the door. Luckily everything had been packed. Flidais, the horse that the cloaked man brought over for her had been packed up. "The rest will be sent to you when your farm sells." His voice was unrecognizeable. "Don't worry ... I'll make sure they don't get you, but you have to leave now."

Jen's eyes were wide as Grim helped her up onto her horse before he pulled up behind her and held her tight. She knew how to ride and the stranger made sure that they knew that Flidais was hers. "How ... why?" Jen stuttered.

"You were kind to me ... so I'm being kind to you. Get out while you can." The hooded man stated with a slap on Flidais' flanks. The mare took off into the night.

Jen started as her heart learched in her chest. Sitting up she looked around the inn of Stafford drowsily. Grim was situated on the floor next to the fireplace. Even in the cold night, he insisted that her modesty wouldn't allow the two of them to just sleep side by side. She had objected but sleep over came her and from the looks of it Grim had won out the battle.

Sighing Jen fell back against the pillow and stared at the noon day sun peeking in through the shutters. They had ridden all night and reached Stafford in the early morning. Soon they would be heading out again to get to Strewsbury before the day was out. Flidais made the trip back to Ludlow much quicker. Jen silently slipped out of bed and tipped toed over to the window. Pressing it open she saw the mare in the yard below.

It wasn't a dream. Jen smiled as she watched the beautiful animal trot through the small enclosure. Thoughts of the night before still ran through her head. She had left so quickly that she knew that she should write to let some know where she had gone and to not send out search parties.

Sighing Jen sat down at the small table. On her way to Beeston she would write to Ava, now she was writing to Cecily.

Dear Lady of Capesthorne,

Jen started the letter remembering the woman's title. Mayor. Lady of Capesthorne. Friend. A quiet pain filled Jen's chest before she continued.

Cecily, I'm writing this letter so you don't send out the search parties. A man came to my farm last night and told me that I was in danger. Grim hearing anything that could put me in danger became quite insistant that I leave Beeston with him. The stranger was of the same idea.

In the middle of the night, I ran from my farm with Grim. Currently we are in Stafford and I will be returning with him to his hometown. I knew that I would eventually be going there, but this dash in the middle of the night was absolutly unexpected.

With this letter I'm sending Jerty's hat. I'm afraid that he left it with me. Please try to explain to him that I never meant to hurt him. I care for him deeper then I should really let on, but my heart is also telling me that Grim is the rightful person to be my husband. Betrothed or no.

I'll miss playing in your tavern to the cheers of those who embraced me. Chesterfield, Dark, Jerty, Tony, Dew, Mac, and many others. Tell them all that I miss them.

Sincerly,
Jenibelle O'Brian, Lady of Audley

Dear Lady of Capesthorne 54535166048f1224ce1662Dear Lady of Capesthorne SunandMoonJen

Last edited by Admin on Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

http://rkalternative.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Dear Lady of Capesthorne Empty Re: Dear Lady of Capesthorne

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Posted: 02 Oct 2007 08:58 Post subject:
Sitting in the worn leather chair behind her large oak desk in the mayor's office, Cecily reviews the town's buying and selling orders. She has been at work reviewing Beeston's records for many hours and her eyes are beginning to glaze over.

She rubs her temples and, hearing a grumbling from her stomach, pulls out an apple she had snagged from the tavern. Just as she takes a large bite, she hears a knock at the door. Of course....

She sets the apple on the desk, Lunch is going to have to wait, and chews quickly while standing and smoothing her skirts.

"Come in."

A courier enters with a letter and a package.

"A delivery for Lady Cecily." says the courier as he bows and hands over the package.

Cecily gives the man a pound and waits impatiently as he thanks her and leaves the office.

Settling herself back in her chair, she carefully breaks the wax seal on the letter and begins to read. Sadness overcomes her as she learns that her dear friend has already left Beeston. She had been expecting it, but not like this, not so soon.

She opens the package and tosses Jertydo's hat on the desk next to the apple. which is not improving with age. She stares out the window a moment to collect her thoughts before taking out a quill and writing a reply to Jen.

My Dear Friend,
I am saddened to hear that you have already left town. I can only pray that this letter finds you safely in Ludlow.

It was truly a pleasure getting to know you and I hope that when you play your fiddle, you will remember us fondly.

I will see to it that Jertydo's hat is returned to him, although I am not relishing breaking the news to him. As for the others, I will let them know that you send your warm regard.

I am sure that our paths will cross again in the future. Take care and let me know if there is ever anything that I can do for you.

Sincerely,
Cecily Rose Wolfe, Lady of Capesthorne
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Dearest Cecily,

I've decided to forgo formality. We are such good friends that I'm sure you can excuse my lack of title and so forth. I reached Ludlow today to find your letter waiting for me at the Inn. Luckily it came after Grim and I had the chance to surprise old friends.

I've moved into the Inn for now; it's improper for a single man and woman to live alone on the out skirts of town. Actually, Grim's farm is next to the castle. His corn farm is starting to sprout. It actually reminded me of my farm that I left in Beeston. But I am still residing in the Inn.

I miss you Cecily. The fun moments of talking in Jack's. I wish you could come and visit soon. I'll be sure and play your favorite tune in the Drunken Unicorn.

All my best wishes,
Jen

Jen smiled as she signed her name. At least she and Cecily could write, then she wouldn't seem so far away. It had been a whirlwind since she had left Ireland. Her family was so far away it was nice to know that there were close friends here in England as she started a new life. Eventually a married one.

Pressing her legs near her chest she rested her feet on the edge of the chair. Excitement was too great for her to doze off to a peaceful slumber. Everything was changing and now she was excited for the changes. She had Grim and now a place to call home. Everything was right with the world.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Cecily is sitting in the tavern. It is a somber crowd tonight as they await news from Chester. Few people are talking and the tension can be felt. Suddenly, the door swings open and a regular customer arrives looking agitated.

"Cecily, I must talk with you." He pulls her to the corner. Whispering, "I have news that Jenibelle was robbed on the road to Ludlow by......"

She lets the news sink in for a moment. Her brow furrowed, jaw clenched...Jen robbed? By him? Why?

"Please excuse me, I have a letter I must write." She grabs her cloak hastily as she rushes out the door towards her house.

My Dear Jenibelle,
I have just received the most disturbing news and I am fearful for your safety. I pray that I heard incorrectly, but at the same time, know in my heart that the information is true.

Please write as soon as you have opportunity and know that I am here to help you in anyway that I can.

Your friend,
Cecily

She seals the letter. Stepping out into the night, she finds a trusted page and gives him the letter and several pounds.

"To Ludlow."
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 pm

.: Ludlow :: Hergrim's Farm :.

Jen sighed in the warm fall sun as she lightly wiped her brow with the back of her hand. The last two days had been hard. First Heregrim and she were robbed. Everything of theirs had been stolen. All their money, supplies, everything she owned.

After that Grim wanted her to stay with him; so he could keep her safe. She strongly suspected that his mother's words, of Jen being his only family left, had something to do with it. It wasn't that she minded, to the contrary, she enjoyed getting to know Grim better, she just felt guilty.

Everynight he would sleep on the floor of his own home, even after she repeatedly offered to sleep on the floor or they could share the bed with blankets between them for propiety sake.

The two of them had flowed into an easy relationship. She was still getting used to him watching her or how he felt when he stood near her. Another half smile pressed to her face. She felt strange around him. It was a whole new sensation, her stomach turned and her pulse raced. She wished that Cecily was around to talk to.

.: Later that night :.

The last chord drew out and was followed by applause. Jen curtsied slightly to Grim as he continued to clap. "Thank you." She curtsied again. Every night he cooked and she would play after supper. It was something she was starting to look forward to.

Grim looked as if he was about to say something as a loud knock came from the door. Grim stood quickly and walked carefully to the door picking up her staff as he continued his slow trek. The knocking continued. His whole life seemed to make him wary of every knock and anyone who came to the door after dark.

Slowly he opened the door to see a very tired Page. "Come in, friend." Grim stated simply. The page seemed to fall through the door. His hand pressing a letter forward to Jen.

"A letter from the mayor of Beeston." The man yawned as he spoke. Grim took the letter from the Page and handed it to his betrothed. Jen nodded her head as she took the letter. Her eyes focused on the elegant writing.

"Why don't you get him some bread and let him sleep in the hay loft. I don't think he'll make it back to town." Jen whispered to Grim as she cracked the seal and started to read the letter's contents. Grim nodded as if he was already planning on doing what she had suggested.

"I'll leave you to your letter then ... I'm going to make sure he makes it to the loft." Grim stated before he pressed his lips to her cheek and headed out the door. Jen felt her cheeks flush as she hungrily read Cecily's letter.

Pulling out a sheet of paper after she was done reading, Jen started to write Cecily back. So the Page could carry it back when he returned to Beeston.

Dear Cecily,

Thank you for your concern, but other then my valuables ... the man took nothing from me. Although it has caused Grim to become more protective of me. I'm startled to find that I don't mind his protective nature and am deeply touched by it.

As for how you can help me, I just need my farm to sell so I can purchase one here. If you want ... you can buy it.

Jen laughed as she wrote the last sentence. A smile pressed to her face as Grim reentered the home and put a pot on the fire to boil. Jen's eyes watched him for what seemed an eternity. Flushing she returned to the letter.

I am finding the more time I spend with Grim, the more I think about him. I'm embarassed to report that everytime he walks in the room, I feel giddy and then embarassed about it at the same time. I'm not sure what to do. Maybe you can help me out?

I wish you were here.

Sincerly,
Jen

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:48 pm

A rooster crows....Morning already?....Opens one eye, groans, daylight. Downstairs, sounds of pots clanking, feet shuffling. Pulls a pillow over her head. The smell of frying bacon, footsteps on the stairs. She gets out of bed as there is a knock at the door. Besty.... Dear woman....with her breakfast.

She throws on a robe and ties up her hair. "Come in. Good morning, Betsy."

"Milady, a letter arrived for you this morn."

Cecily scans the tray, a pot of tea, eggs, bacon, plums and a letter. She recognizes the handwriting immediately and smiles, Jenibelle.

"Can I bring you anything else, milady?"

Cecily thinks, "Do we have a chicken that you can get stewing? Seems we may need some soup at the tavern today."

Settling herself at the table, she pours a cup of tea and opens the letter. She is flooded with relief that Jenibelle was not injured in the robbery. Smiling....Some time at Grim's may be just what you need, Jen.

Finishing her breakfast quickly, she pours another cup of tea and replies to Jen.

Dear Jen,
I am relieved to hear that you were not hurt in this robbery. I trust that you have reported the crime to the Public Prosecutor. May he be dealt with swiftly.

I am pleased, and just a bit jealous, to hear of your wonderful relationship with Grim. It sounds as if you were truly meant to be together. Perhaps a wedding will be in the near future?

I will try my hardest to advertise your farm in Beeston. As you are aware, we have several on the market at this time. I know of a few people who are contemplating a move here and will give them a personal tour of your lovely farm.

I hope all is well in Ludlow. You must come back and visit soon. I fear it will be several months before I am free to travel your way.

Your devoted friend,
Cecily
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:48 pm

: The Drunken Unicorn :.

It took a bit to stop the fight. Jen knew that Scott shouldn't have dumped the water over Bruno. What she didn't know was why she took it upon herself to stop the fight. Her body pressed between the two men as she forced them appart. "Now don't make me kick either of you gentlemen where it might hurt for a very long time." She almost yelled at the two of them.

Grumbling both men seperated and wandered to other sides of the Drunken Unicorn. "I'll stop fighting him ... but then I get a dance." Bruno called out as he continued to storm to the other side.

"Fine ...." Jen grumbled under her breath as she looked back at Scott her eyebrow raised. "Don't say anything." Her gaze locked on Scott's. A loud bang made everyone turn and look at the door to the tavern. Jen's hands lightly tried to dry her dress as she noticed it was Bernard, the poor Page that had been delivering her letters to Cecily.

"Another letter for you ... Lady." Bernard's tired voice seemed to carry over the din in the Tavern. Jen laughed as she walked over and took the letter from the man. Cracking the seal she read every word.

A deep blush came to her face, "Marraige!?" Her mind screamed as she read the letter. Jen knew that somewhere down the line that was what was going to happen, but somehow reading it on the page made it more real.

Slowly she swallowed and tried to keep a calm face. "Bernard ... would you like a drink? Something to keep you warm tonight ... I'll have a letter for you tomorrow."

Bernard sighed as he took a sip of his drink. "Make it in the afternoon lady ... I'm tired of riding around." Jen laughed and nodded as she left the tavern to write her letter.

Grim met her at the door as she walked up the path to the house. "How was your evening, dearest?" Jen smiled as he spoke.

"It was good ... how was your evening in?" Jen said lightly as Grim wrapped her in his arms.

"Good ... I see that Bernard got you your letter." Jen just nodded as she hugged Grim back and the two of them entered the house.

Dearest Cecily,

I must confess that your letter and your question of marrage caused me to pause for a few moments. It made my betrothal seem all the more real. I feel silly, the thought makes me both nervous and excited. I'm not even sure what to think about the whole thing.

I get butterflies in my stomach sometimes when he is near. I think I'm dying. I don't know what to do or even how to act. But I digress.

Lately I've been trying to just eak out a living here. I did get my complaint into the prosecutor and he is working on the case. I am however surprised at how you found out. And how quickly you found out. I wonder, is our mutual friend your informat?

With love,

Jen

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:51 pm

Posted: 10 Oct 2007 20:48 Post subject:
Late morning....

Cecily has just finished up in her butchery. Taking a few scraps of meat, she makes her way to the mews. Eager to handle and tame the new bird, she takes the gauntlet off the hook by the door and pulls it on.

The small falcon, blinded by a leather hood, tips its head toward her as she approaches. Shhhhh.... The bells on the jesses jingle as as the nervous bird shifts on its perch.

Shhhhh, Cinnabar....

Cecily slowly, gently removes the hood from the bird. It has been three days since the falcon has eaten. “You must be getting nice and hungry.” she says softly, soothingly. She places a small bit of meat on her protected hand and slowly holds it out before the bird. Cinnabar eyes the meat for a second before taking it with her sharp beak. Cecily smiles.Success, finally.

A noise from outside startles her and the bird. Thinking it must be Tony finishing with the cows, she carefully replaces Cinnabar's hood and steps outside only to find Bernard!

“Why Bernard, do you have another letter for me?”

“Yes, milady and news as well.” He hands Cecily the letter and continues, “I have word that Lady Jenibelle headed to Beeston as we speak.”

“Jen? To Beeston? Oh, thank you Bernard! Please won't you stay for lunch?”

Filled with excitement, Cecily rushes to the house to prepare a room for Jenibelle. A deserted farm is no place for a woman alone these days.
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:53 pm

: Beeston :: Lady Capesthore Residence :.

Jen pulled her cloak tighter as she continued to plod along to the home at the end of the drive. Flidais and her had been traveling for days and the autumn chill had started to settle into the air. "Easy girl. We're almost done." She said as she patted the mare on her neck lightly. The wagon had been emptied at the market, save for what she was going to be bringing back to Ludlow when she returned.

The mare nickered quietly as they continued down the road. Soon they were at the front door of the house. Betsy was conducting everything. The man to take her horse and to stable Flidais. "Good to have you back, Miss." Betsy said with her usual warm motherly style. "You haven't been eating well ... you are too thin." Jen almost laughed at the woman it was like being home again. "Definatly too thin ... don't they have food in Ludlow? Isn't that man supposed to be helping you settle in? Men ...." Betsy took a soft snif at the air. "And ... you need a bath."

"Yes ma'am." Jen said with her head bowed slightly. "Where is Cecily?"

"Lady Capesthorne is busy with office stuff. She'll be home shortly." Betsy informed her as she took Jen up to the bath.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Seeing Flidais in the yard, Cecily smiles with excitement and pick up her pace, almost running to the house. She shifts her armful of packages to open the door, but the door swings open before she can reach for the knob.

"Besty, thank you." Cecily kisses the rotund woman on the cheek and drops her shopping on the table by the door. "I picked up some items at the market, the trout looked delicious and I could not resist buying it."

Cecily looks around, "Where is Lady Jenibelle?"

Betsy carries the packages to the kitchen. Cecily follows, tossing her hood over the newel of the staircase. "I sent Lady Jenibelle upstairs with a bar of lilac soap. The poor girl smelled like the road."

Cecily laughs, grabbing a slice of carrot and tossing it into her mouth. She ignores the disapproving look that Betsy gives her. Hearing footsteps upstairs, she hopes Jen will be down soon.
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

.: Beeston :: Capesthorne Residence :.

Finally she could feel her fingers. Back and forth they pressed through the water, creating slight waves. The lavander still hung fragrent in the air as she just enjoyed the warm water. It felt good to be clean, to be rid of the cake of dirt that always seemed to come off the road. Even in wet weather. She sighed as she sank further into the tub. The water sat at her chin as she relished the heat. It was good to be back in Beeston.

Her mind drifting in the tub she heard noises down stairs. A smile crossed her face when she recognized Cecily's voice through the door. Quickly she pressed herself out of the tub to see her friend again.

.: 20 minutes later :.

Jen scrambled down the stairs while she quickly plaited her damp hair to keep it away from her face. Pausing she quickly pressed some of the wrinkles out of her skirt. It was her favorite shade of light blue. Faded. But it was the most comfortable one she own. With the weather, it was dry. Another plus.

Hearing voices from the kitchen she almost ran to the door. Upon entering she saw Cecily. Rushing forward she embraced her friend and held her tight. "I missed you so much. You have to tell me everything that is going on." Jen whispered in the other woman's ear.

"She won't tell you anything yet ... your hair is still wet child. You'll catch your death." Both Jen and Cecily roared out in peals of laughter.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:53 pm

Laughing, Cecily gently tugged Jen's wet braid. "Come, let's sit by the fire. A brandy will warm you right up."

In the parlor, the fire in the big hearth crackled merrily. The room's thick rugs and paneled walls made it feel miles away from the damp autumn evening just outside.

Cecily poured two glasses of brandy, handed one to Jen and collapsed into one of the two leather armchairs by the fire. It had been another long day in a series of long days. She took a long swallow of her drink and stared into the fire for a moment before turning to her friend with a smile.

"I image that you have heard the news from the Capitol. In other news, we have a new blacksmith as of today and an abundant supply of bread on the market.

"All that sounds horribly dull though, doesn't it? Please tell me about your journey, and how are things with Grim?"
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

.: Beeston :: Capesthorne Residence :.

Jen sat for a moment her legs curled up under her as she craddled the glass of Brandy and watched the flames dance in the hearth. Her body relaxed from the long trip from Ludlow. Faint crackling sounds filled the room before she spoke. "It doesn't sound dull ... it's good there is an abundance of something on the market ... and a new black smith will make life easier."

Turning her head, Jen looked at her firend and took a draw of the brandy. Cecily was her first friend in England. And still the closest. "The trip here was boring ... except for teh night I spent in jail." Jen laughed a bit, praying that Ava was able to keep Grim and Rony in Ludlow. "As for Grim ... he's in retreat ... Ava came and told me that I needed time away ... if you knew Ava you would know that there is really no way to say no to her ... and it's futile to say no because you'll wind up doing it anyway.

So, Grim went to the church to meditate and pray .... I went to Ava's to help her build a new home." Tears came unbidden to her eyes as she thought back on it. Her heart ached unexpectedly. How she missed Grim. His quiet demeanor and calm manner. His thoughtful gazes that seemed to say that how he acted was a culmination of precise thought. She both loved and hated it. He was slow to tell her how he felt and most the time she was unsure if he kept her around for duty or because he genuinly cared about her.

It was probably the reason why she kissed that man back, that fateful night in the tavern after Grim had gone. And why she even agreed to be alone with him. Suddenly she felt ashamed. Her head drooped a bit and her heart ached more. A few tears slid down her face. For her betrayal she didnt deserve Grim.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:54 pm

In the dancing firelight, Cecily could see the sudden sadness come over Jen's face and the glistening of unshed tears in her eyes. She reach out to squeeze Jen's hand.

“Jen, my dear, are you certain that everything is alright? Please talk to me.”

Pain seemed to linger just under Jen's initially cheerful demeanor. She hoped that her friend would open up to her and that things were not as bad as they seemed.
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:54 pm

Jen squeezed Cecily's hand back before her face turned to her friend. "I did something back in Ludlow ... something I can't take back." A few of her tears slid down her face. "I ... kissed another man."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:59 pm

My dear, please don't beat yourself up about that. Just let this experience lead your heart to wear it belongs."

Cecily stood and refilled their glasses from the crystal decanter. Handing Jen her glass back she continued, "You have been betrothed to Grim for as long as you can remember. It is only natural that you should wonder if he is the man for you."
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Jen took the new glass and sipped on it for a bit as she lost her thoughts into the fire. "I knew the moment I saw him that my da was right in his choice. I never questioned it until he grabbed me and kissed me. Then I found myself kissing back. It was increadibly passionate ...." Jen flushed as the memory of the kiss came flooding back. "The only time Grim kissed me was in Jack's ... that one night when he was drunk."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Jenibelle, it seems that this kiss, no matter how much you may have enjoyed it, just confirmed that your heart belongs to Grim."

Cecily took another sip of her brandy and felt warmed from within as the amber liquid slipped down her throat.

"Do you fear that Grim does not feel passionately about you? I can understand being frightened of a loveless marriage. But truly, I suspect that he is just trying to be a gentleman." Cecily chuckled softly and gave her friend a knowing smile.

"But please don't take advice from me, I am hardly a role model for relationships."
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Jen nodded and sipped a bit more of the brandy. Her friend was right. After the kiss all she did was think more about Grim. "Yes ... in my marraige I want love .. passion .... Everything people who get to choose get. Romance ...." Jen's passionate exclaimation fell in the almost silent room. "But ... Cecily ... if he doesn't feel the same ...."

Her sentance was cut off by an outburst in the foyer. Heated voices of both Betsy and Bernard exploded into the parlor. "Forgive me ma'am but I have an urgent letter." Bernard sounded in near panic as he spoke.

Cecily took the letter and read it, with haste. The paper fell from her fingertips, "we have to get you out soon. Jen be ready by dawn. I'll get someone to get you out." The woman talked as she headed out the door.

Startled and confused, Jen stood and retrieved the paper. "Dear Jah .. bless their souls." The quiet gasp escaped her lips. A few tears slid down her face as she looked to where her friend had left the room. The whole world seemed to be coming to an end.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Riding up the drive to her home, Cecily was dusty and weary from the road and too little sleep the evening before. The familiar sights and sounds of her farm greeted her, making her realize how homesick she had been. She pulled up to the stable, patted Czar's gray neck and left him with the stable boy. The crisp November air hung with the scent of frost and woodsmoke. She walked along the short dirt path from the stable to the main house. Lights danced in the windows of the stone house and Cecily suspected that a warm fire would be waiting for her.

She stepped through the front door and was beseeched by Betsy before she could even take off her cloak.

"Where have you been, Miss? I have been worried sick. Heard news that the castle was retaken days ago."

Cecily took the woman's ruddy hand and gave it a comforting squeeze. "Betsy, we have a lot to talk about and a lot of work ahead of us. But I am exhausted and famished. I think a hot bath is in order."

"Clover!" Betsy called for her daughter loud enough that she could have been heard on the next farm, let alone the next room.

"Yes, mum?" A waifish girl of about twelve years appeared in the doorway to the kitchen.

"Heat some water for Miss Cecily's bath child

"Yes mum." The girl disappeared quickly.

Cecily unpinned her cloak, shrugged out of it and tossed it over the stair rail. "Clover is growing to be quite a young lady."

"Don't you make small talk with me, Miss." Betsy scolded as she gathered up the cloak. "I will be right back with tea and you had better tell me what's been going on."

Chuckling and shaking her head, Cecily stepped into the parlor. She poured herself a brandy and collapsed in her leather chair by the fireplace. Eyes closed, she smiled to herself as she remembered the last few days, visions of her wedding filling her mind. It was nice to be home, but she knew that Grendell would be coming for her soon. There were events that required their attendance and the thought of several days on the road with him appealed to her.

Betsy's lumbering gait and the clinking of a tea tray stirred Cecily from her daydream and she quickly emptied the contents of her glass. Betsy looked from the glass to Cecily disapprovingly, poured her cup of tea and stood with her arms crossed waiting for her to talk. Betsy had been with Cecily for less than a year, but the woman seemed to consider herself more mother than housekeeper.

"I guess that means talk first, bathe later." Cecily grabbed a biscuit from the tray and stood to refill her brandy. Ignoring Betsy's glare, she brought the bottle back to the fire with her, setting it on the floor by her chair. Swirling the liquid in the glass, she began, "I suppose I should start with the night in the tavern in Chester. Lord Grendell proposed marriage to me." She paused to observe Betsy's reaction. "I accepted."

Betsy began to look excited, "Oh we do have a lot of work ahead of us. A wedding..."

"Not so fast, Betsy. He and I were married yesterday." Cecily couldn't decide if it was a look of disappointment or relief that passed over Betsy's face.

"What do you mean by running off and getting married and..." Betsy stopped mid-sentence, and continued in a calmer tone, "So you will be moving, Miss."

"Betsy, wherever I end up, I trust that you and your children will be there too. But there is more news. I have been granted some property at Ellesmere Port. Not certain that we will be moving there, but I must go and inspect it."

"Excuse me, Ma'am," Clover said meekly from the doorway, "your bath is ready."

Draining her glass, Cecily stood to to go upstairs. "Don't look so worried, Betsy. This is all happy news."

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Posted: 15 Nov 2007 12:01 Post subject:
A huge smile crossed Jen's face as Flidais neared Cecily's home. It was her home away from home. A short while before she dropped Grim off at the town proper to drop off his crop and to go and check her fields. She already missed his arms around her as they had ridden from Chester to Beeston. Silently she kicked herself for being over sentimental. He was her husband now; she would sleep every night next to him and wake to his face in the morning. Her smile widened.

Softly she slid out of her saddle to the pounded dirt. Rowan imediatly neared her for Flidais. "Good to see you again girl." He spoke gently to her mare. "Good to see you again, m'lady. Will you be staying longer this time?" His black eyes looked at her almost hopefully. Jen smiled as she handed the young man the reins.

"I'm not sure yet." Jen replied. "Heregrim ... my husband, will be by later. Will you make sure the cart he brings with him gets put in the shed?"

"Yes, m'lady." Rowan replied in his usual quiet tone. Jen patted his shoulder as she took her saddle bags and went into the manor.

Upon entering she was bombared with a million questions from the usually silent Clover. Betsy's daughter always looked like she could eat as her thin, bony, form seemed to jut out of her dress. "Yes ... Cecily got married at the bon fire last night .... It was a wonderful event .... Yes Grim is coming ...." Jen replied to the rapid fire questions.

"And you ... have you and Grim ... gotten married?" Clover dropped the last part as if it were a secret. Jen laughed and leaned forward and nodded slightly as if she were sharing the secret with just young girl.

"And how did you hear about that fire?" Betsy's usual mothering tone broke up the conversation between Jen and the girl.

"Good to see you again Betsy." Jen laughed as the larger woman hugged her tightly then pulled her back to examine her. "Still too thin I see ...." Jen blushed under the woman's scrutinty. "If you are to start a family ... you'll need more meat on those bones." Jen's face just blushed further as she muttered something about they weren't trying to start any family as of yet. "I'm guessing you got married at that fire too." Jen nodded as her eyes stayed on Betsy's.

"Where is Cecily?"
"Up in a bath ... which is where I'm sending you. Night out in the woods ... kids these days."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:00 pm

Cecily stepped out of the bath into the steamy room, her chill and exhaustion soaked away by the hot water. She dripped a trail across the floor as she went for the butter yellow satin robe she had left on the other side of the room then slipped her feet into a pair of soft slippers.

Tying her dripping hair into a knot and securing it with a comb, she began to mentally prepare for the journey ahead. Black dress, green dress, warm cloak, boots... she formed a list in her head pulling the items out of the wardrobe and throwing them on the bed as she went along. Oh, and have to run to the market for bread... She reached for her leather satchel only to realize she had left it downstairs.

Gathering her robe about her, she tread lightly down the stairs to snatch the bag. As she reached the landing she saw Jen and Betsy staring up at her. She giggled and shrugged her shoulders. Betsy shook her head in dismay, certain now that Cecily was beyond hope.

"My bag?" she asked sheepishly.

Betsy huffed and stormed out in search of the satchel.

Cecily and Jen shared a quiet laugh once Betsy turned her back.

"I am trying to get packed up, want to help?"

As she turned to go back upstairs, Betsy reappeared with the bag and handed it to Cecily.

"We are taking a trip over to Holywell and then up to Ellesmere Port." She said over her shoulder as the two climbed the stairs. Pausing at the top she frowned, "Where is Grim?"
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Grendell

A hand extends from the room behind her grabbing her shoulder and pulling her back inside.

Dressed in his travelling clothes Grendell hugs his wet wife, grinning at her startled smile. Kissing her softly, he whispers in her ear 'What, a wolf use the front door? You need better latches on these windows my love'

Ducking her wet slap he sits down watching her face change from anger to exasperation. A clammering at the door leads to Jenna nd Betsy coming in, Betsy's arms waving a rolling pin around quite, quite dangerously.

'Nice bodyguard,' he says to Cec, 'Hi Jenn, and hello to you - you must be Betsy, Cecily has told me so much about you and your family. I'm Grendell, the bad influence.' Chuckling he pulls Cec to him to look lovingly into her eyes.

'Although this one seems to influence me more than I do her.'

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Clover sighed and batted her eyelashes at Gren and opened her mouth to talk, "that is so romantic ... I wish that Ro...." She was silenced as Jen pulled her near in a hug and covered the girls mouth.

"A woman always needs her secrets little cairde." Jen whispered into her ear as she just held the girl close. "Although, deartháir I was worried that I would have to defend your wife with the rucuss that was made." Jen laughed before she backed away with Clover still in her arms.

Betsy on the other hand just looked at Gren and eyed him up and down. A small smile crossed her lips as she took her rolling pin and Clover back down stairs. "Don't forget your bath ... m'lady." Jen grimaced at Betsy's comment.

"Yeah ... that was aimed at me." She said turning back to the couple. "I'll let you two be ... I got a warm tub that seems to be calling my name." She bowed her head slightly before she continued the trip to the warm water and sweet smelling soaps in the bath room.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Grendell

As the sun rises the clatter of horses outsidesiganls the arrival of Grendell. His breath misting in the cold morning air he greets Betsy as she opens the door and gratefully accepts the warm milk she passes up to him.

'Thank you, s'appreciated. Is my wife up and ready to move yet?'

Betsy just grins and opens the door wider, a caophony of noise and swearing appears to be emanating from the top of the stairs. A profusion of comments along the lines of 'What bloody time does he call this, its still night, wheres my clothes ahhhhh' make him smile. With a grin he whistles and the big hound trots up. Betsy stifles a chuckle as he points up the stairs and says 'Go find'.

The creature bounds off up the stairs, to be greeted with more shrieks and wails. Moose comes bouncimg back down, grinning with a hairbrush in his mouth with Cecily hot on his heels. Half dressed, hair unbrushed, panting, as she leans on the door frame she glares at Grendell where he now stands fussing his dog.

Smiling at her innocently he says 'Ah, good to see your up, are you ready to go then?'

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next