Alternative RK
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wharton's Lock

3 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Wharton's Lock - Page 4 Empty Re: Wharton's Lock

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:58 pm

She smiled weakly at Stone, blotting her eyes with a well-used handkerchief. The tears had stopped, but her frame still heaved with the vestiges of her sobbing.

"He's gone," she said softly. "My God it doesn't feel like it, but this time he really is." She took a deep breath to keep the tears at bay and toyed with the empty cup in her hands. "Stone, I just don't know what to do next." Tears welled up again as she thought of having to face the future, of life without him.

"I'm sorry," she sighed and covered her face with her hands, trying to pull herself back together. "And the look on Frey's face," she continued. "I, I never meant to hurt her."
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:58 pm

Gawain lead the cart slowly through the woods, the two donkeys in the harness not particularly interested in moving at any great pace. On the cart in front of the barrels of ale and brandy sat a heavily cowled figure, a crozier laid across its lap.

Nearing the clearing a soldier steps out and stops the boy. He tries to explain they are taking ales to the town and the man shakes his head.

The figure on the cart thumps the wooden stave heavily on the sides of the cart and Gawain runs to the back. Hastily he explains what is going on, of the dead girl in the clearing. The figure slumps forward and slowly lowers itself from the cart and shuffles forward leaning on the stave.

Nearing the guardsman the figure mutters words barely audible through the layers of clothes, barely a whisper from inside the hood. 'Stand aside boy, I am Father Worrs, this ladies priest. Aye she was a pagan but I held the chapel at her repose, you will NOT stop me from giving her the last rites.' Poking the guard in the chest with a surprisingly strong hand the priest limps forwards to the stricken girl. Kneeling beside her, looking at Frey from inside the hood the figure removes a glove revealing a youthful delicate hand. Feeling the girl's face it strokes her neck turning to view the arrow jutting from her chest and the knife cut across her neck. 'Strange' mutters the voice, 'That shouldn't have killed her, its only cut the skin'. The priests hand goes to the other side of the neck and a small gasp comes from within the hood.

Gathering feelings best hidden the priest holds hands over the corpse and makes the sign of Jah over the body while reciting a foreign tongue, to those listening just more ancient words from the book of Jah. However as the voice starts Frey's eyes stare at the priest in horror.

The words in Frey's ears are anything but holy, the icelandic tongue not known to any around but her. 'Stupid children, can't you tell when someone's alive? Frey, you want to get out of this without her knowing where you are do as I say, your going home with me, back to Iceland, Gryff with us. I will try and smuggle idiot girl here somewhere safe with Gawain's help. You might not recognise him but his mother was saved by Her after I took your village apart.'

Sorrow smiles from under the hood at Frey. 'Don't worry the past is the past, lets get you safe and her put where she can't hurt anyone else, I owe her that much.' Turning to the boy, 'Gawain, tell whoever is in charge we will take the body to Holywell for burial and bring the cart here.'

With the cart in the clearing Sorrow watches as Myf's body is loaded up by Frey and Gawain. 'Segeant' she says, her voice still muffled. There are several barrels of ale here we must leave behind to carry her body on the cart - I am sure your men will make sure at least some of them reach the Repose yes? I will lay her body to rest in the chapel there, tonight will be spent in prayer for her tortured soul.'

Satisfied she climbs back up on the front and signals Gawain to lead off the donkeys. Passing the others on the outskirts she raises her hands in blessing, careful to keep them covered from prying eyes. Out of sight she turns to Frey and starts barking instructions on how to bind round the wounds and keep any more blood from being lost, Gawain tearing strips from his jacket and passing water to her.

'When we get to town, find Gryff and take him to the docks, okay? Get on board the World's Pain and I will meet you there shortly, got it?' Frey nods hurriedly slipping off the cart as it arrives at the gates. Stopping the cart further along the trail Sorrow jumps down and calls for Gawain to climb up. 'Ride south boy, there is gold and silver under the bench. Do not stop till you reach the old monastery, the father is an old comrade in arms, he will take care of her. Good luck child'

Gawain watched Sorrow pull off her cloak, the battered armour beneath showing the newly inscribed captain's badge. She turned for a last time as she buckled on her swords, 'Tell her the company lives on with a new mistress, and I promise to look after it.' With a grin she spins on her heel and walks back towards the town.

Gawain gulped nervously, and climbed back on board. Checking the wound once more he took the reins in hand and set off along Sorrow's directions. By dawn the old monastery hove into view and he drove the cart onto holy ground, sanctuary from the outside world.

(OOC As detailed here previously http://forum.renaissancekingdoms.com/viewtopic.php?t=26145&highlight= Myfanwy survives to dictate her memoirs to Gawain in her later years, scandalising him in the process, from the monastery where she is kept safely away from others. She still has bad episodes, but the monks know how to deal with her, and she hasn't killed anybody for a long time. Frey settles in Iceland with Sorrow's family, she never takes another lover, forever in love with Myfanwy. Gryff grows up in exile, away from his lands, but will no doubt come home one day in the future. As for Gawain - he becomes a monk at the monastery and travels the country as a wandering friar, promising at some point he's going to finish Myfanwy's chronicle, preferably before she escapes.)

Admin
Admin

http://rkalternative.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  MackenzieGael Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:59 pm

The rich smell of lavender wafted up from the pot she carried on a tray as Mack entered the small room. Not only was Icy there with Cecily but now Earl Bloodstone had arrived as well. Setting the tray down she poured the tisane into a mug and pressed it in her friends hands.

"I'm sorry I'm a little late but it took awhile to find this... it's lavender and will calm your nerves as well as help you sleep..."
She wrapped Ceci's fingers around the warm mug and watched her take a long swallow before turning to the others.
"Good Evening Bloodstone."

She nodded politely, her usually happy face downcast until she looks down at her filthy clothes and a smile tugs at the corner of her mouth.
"I do apologize for my... errm... attire."
MackenzieGael
MackenzieGael
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:59 pm

Reef McScmokin

Reef wrote:
Celtic Dragon wanders up the way... He salutes his comrade, and inquires about the blood on his hand, "What's that from... Did you find anything?"

Celtic Dragon wrote:
"Hale, friend Reef, I am well, just very nervous. The blood is not mine, but belongs to this little welp I found. He has a bolt in his hind leg. I'm gonna find the local smith and borrow a few tools to mend the little guy up..Can you direct me?"

"You found my pup? That's great! That little guy ran me and Slater clear to the north side of town thinking we were following Myfawny." Reef starts to laugh, "Tell me you followed the same trail...?" He straightened his face noticing that CD didn't exactly find that funny. "As for the smith, I just recently began to build my forge. It's just down the street." Reef points to the house down on the corner. "There's no roof yet, but I should have enough tools to get the job done. Your help would be greatly appreciated."

Sudden bustle caught the three Bowmen off guard. Slater, listening keenly to the voices from the woods, overhears that Myfawny has been caught and killed. They all stand and stare at each other. "It's over then."

Minutes passed as the trio absorbed the moment. 'I thought there would be more... I thought this would be something worth celebrating.' Thoughts of death pounded at Reef's mind, and he realized for the first time that life is something worth charishing. He turns to Celtic, "Lets be off, my friend. I'm sure you are eager to get back to Beeston. I need to go to the church and retrieve my shield; we can use that as a gurney. The pup is probably pretty moody, and it would be helpful to have something to tie him down to."

Reef looks to his fellow marshall, "Good work, Slater. I couldn't have made it through this hunt alone... Well, maybe I could have, but my knees wouldn't have stopped shaking." Reef lets out a laugh, "Either way, my friend, I thank you."

Slater heads up to Icy's house to give the report on the events they encountered. Reef and CD start walking towards St. Winefride's. "Once we get that bolt out, I'd like to have Icy take a look at it."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:00 pm

celtic dragon

Upon hearing the shouts and screams, I stiffen at teh mere thought of what has happened. No one should pass on alone. Death is too final a penalty to pay, even if it justified. A very sad day indeed.

"It looks like a pretty clean wound. If it is, a snip of the bolt, a quick removal and a hot iron to seal the would will be all that is needed. And yes, sadly I must be bad to Beeston soon. He'll need a weary eye for about3 days. Know anyone who can do that?"

"A light chicken broth mixed with goats milk will provide him the nourishment he needs for fast recovery. Come freind, let's stoke the fire to get this over with. And if you have any whiskey about, I'd like to drink to Gren, Jah rest his soul."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:01 pm

Reef McScmokin

Reef searched his pantry and found a half full bottle of whiskey. He poures a glass for CD and one for himself. "To Grendell, may Jah guide him home. And to the Lady Cecily..." Reef choked on his words, "That dear poor woman... May she find her happiness again."

The fire began to blaze hot, and CD showed Reef how to mend the wound. The cub struggled a bit, but seemed to understand what the the two smiths were doing. "I'll keep an eye on the cub. If he takes to it, I think I'd like to keep him around... We'll see."

"Thank you for your help," Reef said as CD packed up his gear. "Have a safe trip home. I'll be heading up to the captain's house as soon as the little guy gets comfortable. Let me know if you need anything before you head out of town... Maybe I can replace that cape someday."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Celtic Dragon

Yes to the Lord and Lady Rackham!" I down the drink in a swift motion. The firey liquid helps quell the know of tension in my belly.

"Ya, lad, mighty fine Irish whiskey ye have there!!" I say with a grin.

My eyes become serious, "Keep the cloak, I fear the little nipper has "marked" his territory! He'll sleep for a few hours, but best secure him. We should get back to the manor and report in with the Captain. Let him know, we're alright."

Glancing at the bolt, "Might want to bring that along, to let the Cap't look at it. It could mean something to him."

After helping Reef secure the pup, we head back to Manor, our steps not as quiet, nor as full of life as they have been, a few hours ago.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

MackenzieGael wrote:
She nodded politely, her usually happy face downcast until she looks down at her filthy clothes and a smile tugs at the corner of her mouth.
"I do apologize for my... errm... attire."

With a smile, he looks at Mac...

"No worries, you look lovely, as usual Mac. Good thinking on the tea, it will help."

Looking to Icy, with a bleak smile

"Helluva change from last night, eh ?... Now that the hunt is ended, we need to begin the damage control over this situation, and fast..... I do not want anyone seeing her" looking at Cec, "In this condition. She deserves better."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MackenzieGael Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:02 pm

Mac raises her eyebrows, wondering if she should speak in front of Cecily but jumping in anyway.

"I would say this has had a... dark turn of events. I must inquire though Icy, do you have bowmen removing her body? I wanted to move in myself and make certain she was dead but there was a lot of people flurrying around." Squatting beside Ceci she puts her arms around her friend. "Why don't we get you up to your room where it's quiet and you can maybe lay down a bit?"
MackenzieGael
MackenzieGael
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

MackenzieGael wrote:
Squatting beside Ceci she puts her arms around her friend. "Why don't we get you up to your room where it's quiet and you can maybe lay down a bit?"

"Check that",

Turning to a bowman by the door, "Go find Anton the Baker, tell him I said to bring the carriage, with full crew here ASAP. Use the phrase, FULL CREW."

looking to Mac,

"Get her things together, and your horses, be ready once the Carriage arrives. We are going to take her somewhere quiet and away from prying eyes."

looking to Icy,

"My friend, have you made arrangements to secure the bodies for burial ? and, Could you have someone find the other woman and the child... oh, and find my sister, she is involved in this somehow, I am sure."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cecilywolfe Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:02 pm

The herb tea soothed her and made her feel sleepy and....drunk. Jah, how much whiskey did I have? She vaguely listened to her friends talking around her, glad that they seemed to be taking charge.

Resting her head against the back of the chair, she closed her eyes, complete exhaustion threatening to pull her into a fitful sleep.
Cecilywolfe
Cecilywolfe
Admin 2

Back to top Go down

Reef McScmokin

Reef and Celtic Dragon enter the doorway and salute the Captain. Icy, talking with Bloodstone, quickly gives them the 'at ease' and they enter the dining area. A few Bowmen stood in the corner quietly discussing the events. Cecily looked peacful sleeping in a chair. There was a woman next to Cecily stroking her hair, and Celtic quietly informed Reef that her name was Mac.

Celtic makes his way over to a table in the corner, and poures himself a small drink while Reef stands patiently awaiting to interupt Icy and Bloodstone's conversation. He holds in his hand the bolt that CD removed from his cub, and examines it up and down.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Slater

later seeing Reef and Celtic enter the house walks over to Reef and says, I was waiting for you to get here to give our report to Icy. Good idea to bring that bolt with you, now are false trail won't be as bad, Slater says with a chuckle.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Celtic Dragon

"Captian Icy, CD, Reef at your disposal. We have a brief report for you when ready."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

It seemed an eternity as they waited for the Carriage and horse but, in reality, it was less than half an hour.

The carriage was black, with drawn black linen drapes covering the simple openings that served as windows. Pulled by 2 horses, and driven by a non-descript man in a heavy wool cloak that did little to hide the sword on his hip.

Two other me rode on spots at the back and acted as footmen. They too were covered with heavy woolen cloaks and armed with swords. These two men, with a nod to the driver and the bowmen in attendence, entered the house and began to carry out the small amount of baggage that had been collected. With quick, silent efficiency, they loaded and secured the bags and, when completed, withdrew 2 crossbows from a chest on the carriage and took up places around the doorway.

A forth man, to this point in the carriage, exited the vehicle and moved into the room. He was very similar in height and stature to Bloodstone, with the same coloring.

"We are ready to load the passengers, m'lord", he stated with a simple bow,

"Thank you my friend for the quick response, and your help", Bloodstone replied, looking to Mac and Cecily.

"Lady Fraser, would you be so kind as to enter the carriage ? My associate here and I will see to Cecily."

Looking to the dozing Cecily, he gently roused her and supported her arm as he, and the un-named man led her to the carriage. With little trouble, she was seated, wrapped in a heavy bear cloak, and back to dozing.

About this time, a groomsman came, leading both Cecily's and Mac's horses to the carriage. With deft hands, he secured both to the rail of the carriage with enough lead that they would able to travel with the group, sans riders.

"Icy, my friend. I am taking them somewhere safe. I do not feel that the events here are done and dusted... knowing the circles that Grendell and his lot travelled in, there could be more to come. We will not be gone for more than a few days, and our journey will end at their homes in Beeston.

If you need get word to me, leave a note at my Shop, someone will get it to me.

You have done good work here today but, dont let your guard down. Too many things have been happening of late that do not sit well with me.

Watch Your back my friend, and keep an eye peeled for trouble, it comes in threes."

With a quick clasp of hands, Bloodstone moves out to the carriage. Peeking inside, he see Cecily bundled up and dozing, his man alert and waiting, a cocked but un-loaded crossbow across his lap and a sword next to him.
Mac is sitting with one of the bearskins around her but with her weapons handy, ready for anything..

"Steady woman there, good to have around" he thinks as he nods to all and makes his way to his horse.

Taking a heavy cloak, matching the ones the other men are wearing, he mounts his horse. Soon, two more riders, in the same attire, appear. One hands Bloodstone his sword, which he belts on, then a well made horseman's lance.

Bloodstone addresses the men in a language not common to Holywell. "Make sure we are not followed, then re-group."

As the sun sets on this terrible day, the wagon and its escorts are painted by its dying rays as they head West, into the setting sun.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Slater

Slater, Reef, and Celtic Dragon deliver their report to Icy_Flames who listens through exhausted ears. Reef explaines about the bolt, "...I thought it came from the bushes, but it must have come from behind. I don't know if it's of any relevance at this point seeing as the fugitive has been killed. I just wanted to bring it to your attention." He hands the bolt to Icy.

"If you don't mind, sir, I have a new friend at home who needs looking after." Reef draws a salute. Slater and CD produce the same.

With a grin, Captain Flames saltues them, "Dismissed."

The three bowmen retreat towards the doorway. Reef sees the Mac readying to leave. "Lady Mac is it?" She looks up at the young Bowman and recognizes him from her arrival earlier. "My name is Reef McSchmokin. I thought it would be rude of me to pass up another oportunity to introduce myself." Reef bows to the Lady then makes his way out the door.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:04 pm

Fugue had settled Gryff into a warm bundle of fur near the fire. It was too cold a night to put him in his basket, which was getting to be too small for him, anyway, or even in her bed. He was a sweet little boy and took to the improvised bed with a little wriggle of pleasure.

She was drowsing in her chair, bored with the tedium of reviewing market prices, when the back door creaked. Rising quickly, she checked that the ornate sheath holding the dagger to her forearm was open. The clever carving of the leather held it securely enough. As she watched, Frey crept in, her cloak muddied and torn. There was a dark smear on her cheek.

It is over then, Frey? You're free? Fugue looked with compassion at the young woman, then started as Frey threw back her hood and turned her face to Fugue,

Free? Free? I'll never be free! She shrieked. She'll never let me .... she died ... I have to go with her. Give me Gryff.

Fugue moved to put her arm around Frey, asking, Who are you going with? You and Gryff will be safe ....

then lurched back as Frey threw her off and snarled.

Gryff. What have you done with my child? He isn't in his basket. Frey staggered to the table and took up the wine pitcher. Holding it over her head, she took a step toward Fugue.

Now. Get him now. I have seen so much death. Don't think that I won't kill you. Madness is what succeeds, so I shall be mad. GET MY CHILD!

Gryff stirred and whimpered at the scream and both women turned toward him. Fugue was nearer and snatched him close in her left arm, in the same motion drawing the dagger.

Attempting a soothing tone, she said, Frey, I can't let you take him until I know that he will be safe. His safety is what I promised you. And this knife has cut before. I will protect Gryff. She held the child tight to her shoulder with one hand and held the dagger out with the other.

She ducked and backed as Frey dashed the pitcher against the mantel and held the broken neck and handle toward her. Keep talking, I need to keep talking. Maybe she will hear.

Frey, you don't want to do this. Why don't you try to sleep? Take my bed, and I'll keep Gryff here where you can see him.

Judge, you're judging me. Where has justice been .... GIVE ME MY CHILD! Frey dashed forward and grabbed for Gryff, hitting at Fugue with the broken pitcher.

Fugue ducked her head, taking the blow on her thick hair. She stabbed forward with her daggered hand and felt ... felt the blade slice into flesh and stop, like hitting a stone. Gryff was screaming. He arched his back in fear and her hold on him loosened. Her right eye stung suddenly and her vision blurred. In that moment, Frey grabbed the child and backed off.

You won't take the chance of cutting him as you have cut me. I curse you and all you love. May you live in the hell your world has given me! She whirled and was out of the door, leaving Fugue holding a dagger and a handful of cloth from Frey's cloak.

When Fugue looked to the dark woods in back of her home, she couldn't see Frey, and turned back to her blood-spattered room, her thoughts and feelings churning. Frey knew the woods even better than Fugue; that had been her road for the time she had been here. To follow now would be useless.

She sank into her chair with a sob of anger and fear.

Some time passed before someone knocked at her front door. She stared at it. Lady Fugue! Your Honor? The Earl has sent me. May I come in?

Wearily she opened the door to the messenger, wiping the blood from her face with her sleeve.

It's too late.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4